Letting Kids Really Go
David’s almost home! After two-and-half years of living in Shanghai, China, our guy’s coming back!
When David, our first-born son, sat down with us over three years ago to express his thoughts on heading to China, Cam and I were surprised.
“Tell us more, honey.”
“God has much in store for your life. Go! As long as you’re moving towards something and not away from it, David.”
Next thing you know, he’s cracking the Mandarin language and buying a one-way ticket to China.
Many people have asked me how I could be ok with this. “Don’t you find it hard? Don’t you miss him? I could never do that,” they say. Of course it’s hard. But since when does, “it’s hard” mean you shouldn’t do it?
So here are a few thoughts I have for those of you who are preparing as your child heads off to their next milestone, be it college, study-abroad, marriage, missions, or first grade:
1. Your job and honor is to discover who they are and call them out. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
This verse is all about discovery. You get to discover your unique child’s way. It’s not cookie-cutter.
2. Get out of God’s way. God has called your son or daughter. They’re on a journey with Him regardless of whether you know it, see it or like the way it’s shaping up.
3. Resist fear. Look that kid in the eye and tell them, “With God, all things are possible. Go with God.” Don’t let your fear hold them back.
4. Don’t control them. That’s about your fear. Love them. Cheer them on. Speak words of life and truth over them. Side coach. Bless, and don’t control.
5. Pray. Pray. Pray some more.
Are you going to cry? Maybe.
Will it hurt to say “good-bye?” Of course. But, do it anyway.
And in most cases, it’s not like they’re moving to China!
Much love in Christ,
I'm real because God is so real
Your Calling For Today
Prepare your words of en-courage-ment to that son or daughter. You have the opportunity to be a part of what God’s doing in their life.